Later he looked at the related passage at 1 Samuel 15:21-23 and understood why the word is so urgent for end times survival!
Here is the passage: (with the watchman’s comment after the passage)
21The soldiers took sheep and cattle from the plunder, the best of what was devoted to God, in order to sacrifice them to the LORD your God at Gilgal.”
1 Samuel 15:21-23New International Version (NIV)
22But Samuel replied: “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the LORD?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion is like the sin of divination,
and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the LORD,
he has rejected you as king.”
Watchman’s summary of this key message received today:
- The Lord wants your heart’s obedience above your sacrifice of material stuff.
- Disobedience links to rebellion and arrogance. Rebellion and arrogance are in turn linked to the sin of divination and the evil of idolatry!
- Obedience to God is evidenced by obedience to the word of the Lord.
- Serious consequence of disobedience was also recorded in Hebrews 3:16-19 in which it is linked to unbelief. The Holy Spirit warned against unbelief (as those who did not enter the promised land). The people rebelled, sinned, disobeyed God’s word, and all these were evidences of their unbelief.
- To believe is a spiritual act of faith. Without faith one cannot believe in a supernatural and spiritual God (John4:24) and in His word who is God (John 1:1)!