November 30, 2009

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR: WHEN GOD COMMANDS A WATCHMAN NOT TO PRAY



In the book of Jeremiah, a watchman would find it hard to obey certain instructions. For example, in the following verses, a watchman is commanded not to pray.

Jeremiah 7:16: “Therefore do not pray for this people, nor lift up a cry or prayer for them, nor make intercession to Me; for I will not hear you.

Jeremiah 11:14: “So do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them; for I will not hear them in the time that they cry out to Me because of their trouble.

Jeremiah 14:11: Then the LORD said to me, “Do not pray for this people, for their good.

He is commanded very specifically not to pray for the people there or make intercession for them, for their good. It makes no sense. The purpose of existence of a watchman is to watch and pray (intercede) for the nations (kings, priests, people). What is the point of being a watchman if he cannot pray?

So Jack was troubled at these verses. He re-read the relevant context chapters in Jeremiah to find his answer. He found that the words of warning, that Jeremiah was asked to speak, addressed specific audience as follows:

1. Jeremiah was to “Stand in the gate of the LORD’s house, and proclaim there this word, and say” them. (7:1)

2. The words were directed to “the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem”. (11:2)

3. The words were meant for those who “come and stand before God in this house which is called by God’s name” (7:9)

4. The words were from God to those who have broken the covenant with God: “Cursed is the man who does not obey the words of this covenant which I commanded your fathers in the day I brought them out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and do according to all that I command you; so shall you be My people, and I will be your God,’ (11:3-4) “the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken My covenant which I made with their fathers.” (11:9)

5. The warnings addressed those families who made offerings to the queen of heaven and other gods (7:17).

6. The warnings addressed those who practiced religious practices which God did not instruct them to do, such as making burnt offerings. (7:24)

7. God commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you that it may be well with you.’

8. God admonished them: “Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of thieves in your eyes? Behold, I, even I, have seen it,” says the LORD.” (7:11)

8. God had sent messengers (“all My servants the prophets”), “Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but followed the counsels and the dictates of their evil hearts, and went backward and not forward.”

In the modern context, the message is meant for those who are called by God’s name, the Christians. The Christians are Abraham’s descendents by faith. The Christians are under a covenant (the New Covenant set by Jesus) with God. They go to church to worship God.

God called them backsliding children. (3:14, 22)

They have committed two evils: “My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns –broken cisterns that can hold no water.” (2:13)

God described them as, “This is a nation that does not obey the voice of the Lord their God nor receive correction.” (7:28)

God described their iniquities as “refused to hear My words, and they have after other gods to serve them”; they have “broken My covenant”. (11:10)

It is frightening to note that the backsliding Israelite who went after other gods (queen of heaven, idols) went to the temple of God to worship too and even offered burnt offerings. They had no real respect for God or for His words.

Today are there such people in church? Are there churches which have broken the covenant made with Jesus’ blood? Are there churches that do not pray and thus become a den of thieves instead? God said, don’t pray for them or intercede for them!

Frightening but a reality as Solomon said, nothing is new under heaven. History repeats itself.

Reading Jeremiah is indeed a sad experience. “Oh, that my head were waters, and my eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night…” (9:1) A sad day for a watchman.

2009-11-30

No comments:

Biblical worldview: how to reconcile?

 What happens when my generation is gone?  https://wp.me/pzRwB-9w7