June 4, 2009

DAY 92: HE WILL FEED HIS FLOCK LIKE A SHEPHERD


In this era of lean and hungry years, what an average man worries most is whether there will be a next meal when the savings run out in the budgeted time frame (assuming inflation remains unchanged). Will there be food or not? Reading “The Road”, a 2006 novel by American writer Cormac McCarthy, a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey taken by a father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed all civilization and, apparently, most life on earth, makes one realize how important food is.

Sometimes I think of how I should best prepare myself for contingency. When a global food shortage occurs, those who are used to fasting and praying will come out as winners. I know of a Bible school requires the students to fast three days before they are awarded the certificate of graduation. Students often think of all sorts of excuses but the alternative is to quit the Bible school. The amazing thing is no one quits and all go through with flying colors! All the sicknesses and weaknesses they had earlier feared did not occur. A more amazing thing is that after they personally experience the benefits of fasting, they volunteer to do more of it and in their own time. Some have acquired this as a life long habit.

I have not yet acquired this wonderful habit. My dream is that one day I could overcome the psychological and spiritual hindrance and make my faith leap.

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)
“He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them to His bosom,, and gently lead those who are with young.” (Isaiah 40:11)
“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” (Psalm 23:1)

Jesus knows our fear. He gave the above assurance. Prior to deliberate living Biblically, I had lived a simple life. During my quest to live Biblically, I have learned even simpler living. Yet I live without any lack. I live on the lifestyle equivalent to that of an ordinary office clerk and I live comfortably.

When my fortune is restored fully (i.e. all my larger debtors pay up), I shall continue to live the same simple life. I have no desire for a wasteful and abusive life, binging on food and drink and luxury stuff. What do I want my original fortune restored for? I believe when the Lord restores, He will show me His purpose as well.

The Bible is full of clues left behind by those who really knew the Lord as their shepherd. The rich and famous King David is one who has left a lot of such clues. As a king he needed not worry about where his next meal would come from, yet he continued to look to God as his provider and focus on God day and night as his ultimate source of security. Read psalms and know what I mean.

I pray you too find you need not want or lack by making the Lord (Jesus) as your Shepherd. Be secure as His sheep.

AAA Jack (a sheep of Jesus Christ)
June 4, 2009

No comments:

Biblical worldview: how to reconcile?

 What happens when my generation is gone?  https://wp.me/pzRwB-9w7