March 28, 2009

He stooped and fed us

In today’s reading, I read Matthew 11:28-29. Jesus called out to everyone here, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
When I first read these two verses long ago, I always thought it rather contradictory. On one hand Jesus wanted us to remove our burden/yoke, on the other hand He urged us to put on His. A lot of churches taught me to be extra hard working as I have to carry Jesus’ burden. So I had to make a lot of effort to serve Him in churches, doing good work etc. The burdens became heavy and impossible to carry on my own. I know of Christians and pastors burning out too. It doesn’t make sense as Jesus specifically assured us in the following verse, “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:30)
However, I am determined to understand these verses this time in this living Biblically quest. I prayed and read crossed reference verses and found the following treasure in Hosea. God spoke.
“I drew them with gentle cords, with bands of love, and I was to them as those who take the yoke from their neck. I stooped and fed them.” this wonderful verse is taken from Hosea 11:4. God said He loved Israel (Christians) when he was a child. He taught them to walk, take them by their arms. He healed them. He then described how He drew them with gentleness and took away their yoke. Try picturing God as a tall and mighty person who stooped down to a little child and fed him patiently and lovingly.
The definition of a yoke:
1 a: a wooden bar or frame by which two draft animals (as oxen) are joined at the heads or necks for working together b: an arched device formerly laid on the neck of a defeated person c: a frame fitted to a person's shoulders to carry a load in two equal portions d: a bar by which the end of the tongue of a wagon or carriage is suspended from the collars of the harness.
When I thought of Jesus before, I always had the idea that He was like any of us, small and insignificant. I thought of carrying His cross/yoke for Him as if He was walking to the place of crucifixion. How wrong I had been! Jesus is no longer on His way to be crucified. He has already been crucified, died, buried, risen from the dead and now sits in heaven as God! The Jesus now is a mighty, magnificent and majestic God. He is definitely not the little man like any of us.
When I thought of this truth, I saw a different picture of the yoke on us. Instead of me carrying the yoke by myself, the yoke is shared now between me and Jesus. But Jesus is so much (infinitely) taller and bigger, so it is He who carries the yoke and not me. I am just like the child described in Hosea 11:4, whom Jesus stooped down to feed and nurse.
My application: continue to come near to God daily and feed on His words. Yesterday after interceding for the nation I had an unusual encounter. I was prostrating on the floor and the picture came to my mind. Jesus was holding a little narrow jar/vase in His hand and poured out some oil on His fingers. Then He touched my forehead. I had the word “anointing” in my mind.
After that, I forgot about the picture. By mid morning a thought came to me that I needed to record down the picture I saw. But I have forgotten it entirely. I was troubled. So I prayed that I could recall it. Immediately the picture came, exactly as I had seen in the early morning. I am not sure what this means and I have no Bible reference in my mind. I decide to leave this subject for the time being. However I believe I need to continue to pray/intercede for the nation, seek guidance and clarification of goals and directions for my life, especially at this time of uncertainty.
Meanwhile I am happy that it is not me who carries the yoke. No wonder Jesus assured us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light!
AAA Jack
March 28, 2009

No comments:

Biblical worldview: how to reconcile?

 What happens when my generation is gone?  https://wp.me/pzRwB-9w7